In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Saturday 24 September 2016

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: OUT OF THE SHADOWS [2016]

Earth to Echo director Dave Green takes over duties for Out of the Shadows, the TMNT sequel to the 2012 live-action comic book adaptation.
This time around the heroes in a half-shell must save the world from a dangerous being from another dimension known only as Krang.
It doesn't really improve or weaken in quality from the first film but instead it finds more fun in the exact same vein as a mindless Saturday morning cartoon, with the hyper-active brains of indigestible sugar cereal.  Based on how much gleeful idiocy you're willing to accept will determine on how much enjoyment you'll get out of this tasty trash.  Really, it's strictly for the kiddies or anyone who just has to see Krang, Bebop & Rocksteady finally make it into a TMNT film.

2 garbage trucks out of 5

3 comments:

cuckoo said...

You're probably right on this being a bit higher than what I rated it, bud.

I struggled with a weak 3 and a 2 1/2.

I had quite a bit of fun with this one but it's a cookie cutter summer blockbuster without any brains...yet, it never tries to pretend that it's not anymore than that. Feck, even Mikey (who usually annoys me) had me chuckling quite a bit.

...

...I'll ponder upon this one for awhile

budarc said...

I have to admit, this one made me feel like a kid again.

I grew up on the old Turtles cartoon. We were all waiting for Krang and B&R for so long. This one delivered, even though it's about 20 years too late.

I agree that it's brainless and forgettable though (like Saturday morning entertainment). It's the kid in me that wants to give it a 3 Pizza Hut product placements out of 5.

cuckoo said...

I don't think it's too late seeing as the kids still love the TMNT.
Based on it's box office returns parents weren't willing to take them though.
We'll see how it does on VoD and home video.
It might find a second life.


Let's face it though,
it gets a single star upgrade based solely on watching Megan Fox change from sexy blond business geek into vampy brunette school girl in the flash of an eye.