In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Sunday 14 August 2016

SAUSAGE PARTY [2016]

Directors Greg Tiernan (Thomas & Friends) and Conrad Vernon (Madagascar) turn to the darkside for the highly offensive, yet atrociously funny animated Sausage Party, written by Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg & Jonah Hill.
It's the Fourth of July and all the food products at Shopwell's Grocery Store are excited to get whisked away to a better place...or so they think.  
Try to imagine Toy Story, then replace the toys with food and then humor yourself with the notion of Mr. Potato Head or especially Jessie The Yodeling Cowgirl getting ripped apart and devoured by their owners.  With that in mind, prepare to feel your ears curl up with the language that would make the South Park guys uncomfortable.  Be ready to laugh till your in pain because it's pretty fucking funny, with some cleverly placed themes neatly woven into all the un-PC crudeness.  In short, it's the perfect example of stupid brilliance.  

4 "Great" Beyonds out of 5

3 comments:

budarc said...

This movie was such a trip. I wish I could have seen it in 3D but none of the theater chains here believed in it. I love how there are so many little morals strewn throughout it even though it's so decidedly un-PC. The main one being how religion and blind faith is bullshit (I've been waiting for a movie to finally have the balls to say it; I was not expecting it to be this one). The fourth wall break was pretty great too. I had no idea it was Ed Norton doing that weird Woody Allen bagel impression.

4 food orgies out of 5

cuckoo said...

I feckin' loved it.

Rogen & Goldberg are great.
Even though they both do pretty average but funny run-of-the-mill comedies too, they seem to balance it out with stepping out of their comfort zone quite often with movies like this.

With this movie and TV's Preacher I'd have to say Rogen & Goldberg are on fire this year.

Especially considering this ain't a sequel, adaptation, reboot or remake.

budarc said...

Yeah, I'm pretty jealous of them actually since we're the same age. I always wonder what kind of damage I could have done if I had their influence. This is the End, The Interview and The Night Before have all been pretty great, and Preacher is probably the best new show I've seen this year. Given the title, I was actually expecting Sausage Party to be pretty one-note but I was pleasantly surprised. Much better than the last adult animated feature I saw, Hell & Back. Given the box office pull this weekend, I wonder if there's a future audience for it. (And yeah, at my screening I still saw parents taking their kids to see it. :rolleyes:)