In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Monday 5 September 2011

HESHER [2010]

It's depressing. It's heartbreaking.

...and it can be wickedly funny.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt stars as the title character in this oddball drama about an angry at the world loner who forces himself into the lives a disheartened family who had recently suffered a great loss.
Rainn Wilson impresses once again as the father, Piper Laurie is a delight as the grandmother, recent newcomer Devon Brochu is the son and Natalie Portman rounds out the brilliant cast as she tries hard to look down in the dumps but she simply can't look bad even when she tries.

Thinking it was going to be America's take on FUBAR, I was pleasantly surprised with the emotional impact this film makes. It does tend to get a little schmaltzy at the end but doesn't matter due to the incredible job each cast member has handed in.

4 middle fingers out of 5

8 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

Great fuckin film.
Even Nat didn't ruin this one.
5 did budarc draw these end credits? out of 5.

cuckoo said...

I loved it.

The use of Metallica for some underscore near the beginning had me in stitches.

budarc said...

It's on my list of stuff to watch.

Let's see if we can all agree on something for once. :P

cuckoo said...

That would be too easy. :p

...at least we all have fap. :)

Dr Faustus said...

This was Susser's debut feature. Hard to believe. He did a few shorts before it.

budarc said...

Great movie. Fantastic cast. I loved the raw anger in it. Makes me want to smash someone's fucking face in. Fuck yeah. >:(

4.5 Kermit the frog fingers out of 5 for me. A happy median.

Dr Faustus said...

I wrote a review of it, I didn't know cuckoo had already did one. It was similar to what you just said. We all liked it. Is that a first?

budarc said...

I think it's a first that we all three saw the same movie.

I'm not sure. I'd have to check.