In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Tuesday 13 September 2011

MALEVOLENCE [2004]

Being the first instalment that's the second part of a trilogy [if that makes any sense], would make you think Malevolence would try a little harder to be better than it is.
Writer/director Stevan Mena obviously tried very hard to emulate an '80's slasher flick and in that he succeeded. If you told me I was watching a bad horror movie from 1984 I would have believed you, with it's terrible acting, corny synth music and it's sloppy direction adding to it all. I think Mena tried to pay homage to Halloween, Friday The 13th and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre but instead of coming off as that, it comes off as an extremely watered down rip-off of all of the films above. The characters are stupid. I'm talking annoyingly stupid. It's all right when a character is supposed to be stupid but when they're written to be "smart" and do stupid things it's very difficult to enjoy.
I'm hoping the second installment that's the first part [laughs] is the improvement I keep reading about it being.

1 funny synth STINGS out of 5

No comments: