In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Friday 19 August 2011

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN : ON STRANGER TIDES [2011]

Rob Marshall slides into the director's chair with ease for the 4th installment of the tremendously popular "Pirates" franchise.

Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush return to their respective roles but seem to have lost the enthusiasm and the twinkle in their eyes with these characters. Ian McShane's talents are wasted on what could have easily been a deliciously, campy villain role. Penelope Cruz is boring as always.

The movie meanders along with about 30 minutes which could have easily been cut without sacrificing any plot or character elements.

In the end, Pirates 4 is uninspired, pointless and overbloated with a load of hot air and lack of substance.

1 Ship In A Bottle out of 5

3 comments:

budarc said...

Fuck...you're so cutthroat. (see what I did there?)

I know it was nowhere near as good as the other movies, but I still have a place in my heart for Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow. It was a fun, brainless adventure movie and I award it a light 3 carnivorous mermaids, for me.

Dr Faustus said...

We seem to be clashing on a lot of these scores. :loldata: Diversity keeps life fun.
I've not seen this film, I saw the first one and that was enough for me. If there was a highlights version of the last 3 of just Depp, I'd watch that. He was the best thing in the first one, I thought.

cuckoo said...

I wasn't so much a fan of the first one for some reason. I loved 2 & 3 though.

4 seemed to throwback to the general feeling of 1, only without the enthusiasm and adding in too many boring characters.

Mermaids we super cool though. :D