In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Friday 12 August 2011

The Ward (2010)

It's fair to say that Carpenter has made a variation of the same film over and over for decades. Happily, it's a film I enjoy. But with The Ward the majority of the enjoyment is derived from the technical side of things.
The mostly female cast are excellent, they understand their role and purpose and give it their all, but by two-thirds of the way in the story is still only warming up and when the scary comes along it isn't scary at all.
Ultimately, it's Carpenter's old school techniques that win out. The way he effortlessly places us into the environment and the perfectly executed dolly shots are the work of a master who knows his trade. If he’d had a better script to work with his application of those skills would've been better placed.

3 one-sided perspectives out of 5

5 comments:

budarc said...

I decided to check this one out on your recommendation (a first for this site?). I liked the '80s-esque horror movie atmosphere throughout, but the ending felt trite and hackneyed. 2.5 for me.

Dr Faustus said...

I didn't really recommended it, did I?
I thought Amber did okay but really it was the confidence in his camera-work and the Carpenter vibe that won me over. It knocked it up to a 3. I'm sad like that. :(

I'm going to pretend the last 10 seconds didn't happen. It was a NO-NO!

budarc said...

I guess I take it on faith that 3 and up is worthwhile to seek out.

Maybe it was the cover that made up that decision for me.

Dr Faustus said...

If it was to be graded on story alone it would be lucky to get a 2. I think my Carpenter love influenced me.
Did you notice how many arms were on the cover? That didn't happen. We're being lied to by PR men? Who'da thunk it?!

cuckoo said...

Just finished it.

I liked the tone, use of space and the color palate he used. Very Shining-esque.
The story was so-so and too predictable. I knew exactly what order each character would get killed off as soon as they were introduced.
But the performances, setting and old school vibe to it won me over.

2.5 stars from me too.