In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Friday 26 August 2011

INSIDIOUS [2011]

Saw creators James Wan & Leigh Whannell craft a delightfully frightening haunted house story that does it best to avoid the usual cliches in this tired formula.
Rose Byrne continues to impress with her role as the frightened mother while Patrick Wilson is off and on as the distant father. The dialogue is pretty bad and horribly delivered in several spots but doesn't subtract from the insanely intense first half of the film, complimented by a Penderecki-esque score by Joseph Bishara. The second half starts to fall apart due to it's premise getting too silly and a 'villain' that may be the lovechild of Darth Maul and Freddy Krueger.
In the end, Insidious delivers on the scares and that's all I expect from such a film.

3 creeped out baby monitors out of 5

2 comments:

Lyedecker said...

predictably twisty horror ending as well

Borderline said...

An absolute letdown for me. I was psyched when I first saw the trailer but it ended up leaving me with a bad taste. Did not scare me or leave any lasting creeps either. As soon as they entered the other world I was done.
1 out of 5 from me