In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Saturday 6 August 2011

The Road (2009)

Within every frame of the film lies an immense affecting power that overwhelmed me. Not one second of footage was wasted.
Without the accompanying visual element words alone seem incapable of expressing my feelings toward it, all I can do is use unworthy adjectives: Subtle. Understated. Heartfelt. Haunting. Beautiful.
It's the rarest of things: a perfect score.

5 Viggo beards out of 5

4 comments:

cuckoo said...

Watched it again last night.

Feck...what a horrible way to end a day. :laugh:

Felt terrible as I waited to fall asleep.

5 out of 5.

Until "The Wettest Country" is released or I find a copy of "To Have & To Hold" that concludes my John Hillcoat run. :(

Dr Faustus said...

Would love to watch this one again. I only rented it before. I need to purchase it.

cuckoo said...

It's worthy of blu-ray purchase.

I wish Hillcoat would release a director's cut with the deleted scenes re-edited into the film. They make it that much more.

The novel deserves a 6 out of 5.

Cormac McCarthy is one of the best poetic writers of our time.

Just the idea of a McCarthy novel apadpted to screen by John Hillcoat starting Vigoo and scored by Cave & Ellis makes me pee my pants in excitement.

More please.

Dr Faustus said...

It was blu I watched. Stunning cinematography. I've never read a McCarthy novel. I'll have to remedy that someday. Any suggestions on which one to start with?