In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Tuesday 23 August 2011

Fahrenheit 451 (1966)

It’s the future. Knowledge is dangerous. Books are forbidden and burned en masse. The firemen are always watching.
It's stylised with minimalist set dressings, long, rolling takes and there's one surprise revelation that everyone I've ever lent the film to didn't notice.
François Truffaut, Ray Bradbury, Julie Christie, Oskar Werner, Cyril Cusack, Bernard Herrmann and Nicolas Roeg; a gathering like that doesn't happen very often. It was Truffaut’s only English language film.
Purists will grumble as it deviates from the book significantly at least twice, but it retains the essence and the feelings.

4½ shamelessly subjective scores out of 5

1 comment:

budarc said...

Hey, that's not fair...you're watching good movies now and leaving us to the shit. :P

I haven't seen this one in awhile, but I think I would give it at least a "4" star rating. I never read the book, so I came at it unbiased.