In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Sunday 24 June 2012

GNOMEO & JULIET [2011]

Gnomeo & Juliet is Britain's failed attempt to jump on the Pixar & Dreamworks bandwagon.  
Instead of anything original, it's a blatant rip-off of Toy Story & Over The Hedge set to the classic Shakespeare play.  It's filled with bland dialogue, uninspired characters and predictable scene set-ups.  Such a disappointing waste of a near perfect cast.  There's not much here for anybody over 10 years old...and even then, there's so many better films for a 10 year old.

2 purple is the way to go out of 5

4 comments:

Borderline said...

I honestly think you should skip the reviews for these types of films. Like you said in your Twilight review, you're not the target audience. I thought this was a decent film with plenty of laugh-out-loud scenes. I was surprised when I saw not only Jason Statham but also Ozzy Osbourne in the credits. 3 out of 5 from me.

cuckoo said...

:eye:

Target audience or not, a good film is a good film. A bad film is still a bad film.

I'm not the target audience for mainstream rom-coms or teen comedies and I still managed to find the good elements about them....some of them.

Or in the Nut Suites case, I'm not the target audience for Justin Timberlake or P!nk but I can't ignore well composed music if it's actually well composed.

I dunno, duders. I spent the whole weekend watching kiddie shows with my niece, which I'm most definitely not the target audience but it's still easy to pick out the crap from the crop and the well-made stuff as well.

Borderline said...

Despicable Me and Over the Hedge were shit.

Gnomeo and Juliet is decent but not groundbreaking. Kung Fu Panda 1&2 are fucking fantastic yet you always say "nothing here for adults". I disagree.

cuckoo said...

This is where we meet that wonderful road of "disagree".

I like that. That's why I keep on Nuttin'.

Neither of us are right or wrong...we simply have different views on these films.

...which bringes me to: WHY THE FECK AREN'T YOU WRITING FOR THE NUTSHELL?