In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Wednesday 27 June 2012

The Perfume of the Lady in Black (1974)

Early on in this film, I got my impression that my overall enjoyment of this film would heavily depend on its ending. This wound up being true, but not in the way I was expecting. It's a slow burn that sometimes drags, but is stylistically interesting. In moments, it almost feels like a play, and having seen it through to its finish, I'm almost sure it's intentional.

There are films of this type that are better done, and there are plenty of things about the movie that bother me. I'd have to rewatch it to decide how much. Still, there's something about this that really worked. One sequence in particular will remain in my head for a very long time. Warning: don't image search this unless you want to be spoiled.

3 unusual plates of cat food out of 5.

No comments: