In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Sunday 24 June 2012

Wu Xia (2011)

I went into this movie hoping for spectacular action scenes, and while it delivered on that front, I wound up getting a whole lot more as well. Wu Xia combines martial arts with film noir and elements of Sherlock Holmes, and it comes together beautifully, elevated by some stunning visuals.

I'm a sucker for a good intellectual stand-off, and I got that here. Donnie Yen is one of the greatest action stars working today, but he also has some acting talent, and gives his best performance to date here. My only real complaint is that the movie's a bit unoriginal, but I don't need a film to reinvent the wheel when it's as entertaining as this one.

4.5 one-armed swordsmen out of 5.

2 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

Donnie Yen is a kinetic and terrific martial artist (since Jet got lazy he's taken, and deserves, the crown) but I don't think he can emote very well. Nevertheless, I'll watch anything he's in. Doubly so if it has Takeshi Kaneshiro! If Andy Lau had been in this too I'd have happy clapped so hard. I will definitely check this out some day.

cuckoo said...

Watched this tonight and loved it.
Almost Nutted it as "Dragon" until I thought best to check and see if it's already here as "Wǔ xiá" first.

It was like "Crime & Punishment" and "Les Miserables" were beaten into "A History Of Violence"'s basic shape.

4 + 69 more Demons out of 5 from me.