In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Wednesday 27 June 2012

The Nameless (1999)

There was something about this movie that made me uneasy from the beginning. The subject matter is disturbing, and its horrors are put out on display, but that wasn't what got under my skin. It's just a well shot, well made movie, with neat little references to some horror greats.

The script isn't as strong as the rest of the movie, but I thought the first half was fairly strong. Things don't fall apart in the second half, but the early tension isn't maintained. There's a subplot that easily could have been done away with, and I think it would have been a tighter film without it. Still, I was satisfied by the ending, and was glad it avoided the messiness of other films of its ilk. It's not a film I'd stick on  best of lists, but I still liked it.

3 abandoned beach clinics out of 5.

No comments: