In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Sunday 24 June 2012

The Secret World of Arrietty (2010)

The Borrowers has been adapted so many times that Ghibli doing this movie felt almost disappointing. I was a fan of the books as a kid, but a part of me wanted to see them bring their magic to a different childhood classic. But in spite of my objections, I walked away from Arrietty satisfied.

Arrietty is a simple, quiet movie with lush visuals that threaten to steal the show. I'm pretty sure I could watch the movie with the sound off and be perfectly entertained. There's not a whole lot of plot here, but that works for me. Instead, it's a tale of yearning and how beautiful the world can be. This isn't Ghibli at their best, but it's still pretty great. Watch this one subbed if you can, because there's some cheesy music added in dubbed version.

4 sugar cubes and tissues out of 5.

No comments: