In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Sunday 4 December 2011

The Nutcracker in 3D (2010)


(Alternate cover here.)
AKA: The Nutcracker: The Untold Story

Russian director Andrei Konchalovsky's 20-year vision for this retelling of the famous tale is equally disturbing and refreshing. Universally panned by critics for being too heavy-handed and intense for young children, I found it deliciously full of life and imagination. I don't even mind the fact that they sacrilegiously put Tim Rice lyrics to Tchaikovsky's music. Albert Einstein (Nathan Lane) gives his niece (Elle Fanning) a Nutcracker doll that has been placed under a curse by the evil Rat King (John Turturro). I'm sure it will give nightmares to children just as The Nutcracker Prince did for its time. Elle Fanning is so good here. Leave it to the movies to make me fall madly in love with a 9-year-old.

3 Sugar-Plum Fairies out of 5

2 comments:

Marceline said...

What is it about the Nutcracker that lends itself to terrifying children? I'll have to see this one.

cuckoo said...

O_o

All this time and I had no idea this one-sheet art was so very much wiggins.