In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Sunday 4 December 2011

The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978)

Sweet Jesus.
I had never seen this before, but I finally decided it was time to see for myself what the fuss was all about that would make Lucas himself want to go out and personally destroy every last remaining copy in existence.
I laughed, I cried, I cried some more...in fact, I spent a great deal of this movie crying. Half the special is in pantomime because it's just Wookiees walking around wailing at each other. No subtitles, nothing. I felt like I was watching some sort of perverse nature program. Is this really the best they could come up with?
So does it live up to its reputation? Yes, in spades. Is that necessarily a bad thing? Of course not. It's Star Wars. Fans eat up this garbage. I'd say you're better off just watching the Mark Hamill episode of The Muppet Show.

1 have a nice Life Day out of 5

4 comments:

BLACKTR0N said...

This was one helova mess.

If any of you out there watch south park that one chistmas episode with the news name saying that "Fighting the frizzies at 11" at each commercial break is a reference to this. One of the more wide spread copies has the commercials still in it and the nightly news had a story about frizzy hair.

Lyedecker said...

i got the bootleg dvd with optional rifftrax commentary. i watch this at least a few times every holiday season, much to my wife's dismay. it's pretty damn awful but it's a part of our cultural history and lucas really needs to give us a high-def official release, along with remastered versions of the original theatrical (non-special edition) trilogy.

Dr Faustus said...

0_0

cuckoo said...

...and the musical number at the end.

Dear Dog, the musical number. Just when you think it can't get any worse...Princess Leia sings.