In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Saturday 24 December 2011

The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)


“…there’s nothing in nature that freezes your heart like years of being alone…
Joyously sentimental. If this movie doesn't make you all blurry-eyed, you're a monster. Michael Caine is delightful as old Ebenezer and the songs on the soundtrack are perfect. This was the first post-Jim Henson Muppet movie made; Brian Henson's Muppets are kinder and cuddly and lack the edge of their previous incarnation, but it suits the subject matter of this movie just fine. Ironically, this is also probably one of the most faithful adaptations of Dickens ever made. I think it's my fate to become an old miser like Scrooge if things don't change for me soon...

Note: The song, "When Love Is Gone," cut from the original theatrical version and restored on VHS format, is again missing from the latest edition of the DVD. Make sure you obtain the right version.

4.5 crippled frogs out of 5

1 comment:

BLACKTR0N said...

This is my favorite Carol movie. 5/5.
The DVD I have actually has both cuts of the movie but I think only the theatrical one is widescreen.
The TNT Patrick Stewart one was on a few nights ago and I kept quoting this one during that one.