In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Saturday 24 December 2011

A Christmas Story (1983)

Poor Ralphie. All he wanted was that fucking Red Ryder BB Gun with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time. It's the story every kid can relate to: coveting something so badly and knowing you can't have it ("you'll shoot your eye out!"). So you try everything; you try to be good, you try to hint at it subtly, you even get over your fears and ask the department store Santa for it. Still, nothing. And then...sweet glory. Based on the (somewhat) autobiographical recountings of author Jean Shepherd and his family, this classic film is an essential part of anyone's Christmas viewing. I saved the best for last.

5 guilt-ridden fantasy sequences out of 5

2 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

I don't care for Xmas films but you made this sound really fun. Tongue on pole, fudge and leg lamp have me intrigued.

cuckoo said...

5 fa-ra-ra-ra-ra's out of 5 from me too.

Will watch it tonight with the fam.

It's an annual tradition.

"I like the Wizard of Oz.

...

I like the tin man...

...

..."

:rofldata: