In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Saturday 29 October 2011

THE SHINING [1980]

What can be said about Stanley Kubrick's slightly unfaithful adaptation of Stephen King's classic ghost story The Shining, that hasn't been said already?
The beautifully symmetrical extended camera shots slowly crawling over the wide open spaces, the exquisitely precise sound design, the powerful use of classical avant-garde music, the ominous setting and, of course, Jack.
Jack Nicholson is a deliciously evil treat in this film, right from the get-go in a subtly perfect interview scene to the final moments of a haunting image guaranteed to send chills down your spine.
With it's lavishly slow (yet highly effective) pacing, nightmarish imagery, great performances from the entire cast and menacing music, Kubrick's The Shining is indeed the modern horror classic it's been called countless times.

5 Kids named Doc out of 5

8 comments:

BLACKTR0N said...

While everyone and everything has done the "Here's Johnny!" it don't think it detracts form the movie for newcomers at all.

cuckoo said...

Agreed. It's still just as good. It's so perfectly timed at the height of the craziness, it's still shocking and hilarious at the same time.

Jack nailed it.

Dr Faustus said...

Kids named Doc are always trouble. :)

cuckoo said...

Or right smexy in a weird "what's that hanging out of your nose" sort of way.

Dr Faustus said...

People with a fear of elevators should watch The Shining. :)

budarc said...

This one got the movie theater treatment tonight. I've never loved this film more than I do now. It was the third Kubrick film I got to see on the big screen this year and I always gain a new appreciation viewing them with fresh eyes. My previous claustrophobic home viewings never came close. I love it so feckin' much.

5 carpet patterns I must furnish my home with out of 5

---

Somehow I made it home without getting TWD spoiled for me...yet. Fingers crossed. I'm going to put it on now.

cuckoo said...

Watched the special features first on this one and noticed in the 'coptor shots clips in the SF you can see the coptor's shadow.
...but when you watch the coptor shots in the actual the shadow has been erased.
Just odd.

I also thought it was funny, how Kubrick was so concerned with detail but the first exterior shot of the hotel there is no giant hedge maze to be seen.

And
Scatman Crothers: You like lamb, Doc?
I laughed out loud "He sure does." XD

budarc said...

https://youtu.be/i17pORf_iE4