In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Sunday 23 October 2011

La Jetée (1962)

An image in a man's mind of his past may be the key to rescuing the present and opening the future.
It's a good place to start if you're new to Chris Marker's film-making. It introduces the viewer to his views on film, politics, people, memory, the past, present and future and the connection between them; subjects he returned to many times. It's short, engaging, thought-provoking and it stays in your memory long after viewing.
To me, Marker is one of the great film-makers.
Hitchcock fans will spot a reference to one of his favourite films.

5 archive pictures of the future out of 5

3 comments:

budarc said...

I loved it, but I've got to say 12 Monkeys was a pretty spectacular remake.

cuckoo said...

I with budarc on this one. This is an astounding film.

I saw 12 Monkeys first but the remake led me to this one.

If you're smart, remakes can serve a purpose. ;)

Dr Faustus said...

I love 12 Monkeys as well; I'm a Gilliam fan. I've not seen it in many years but I think I prefer this one out of the two. I find the narration in this one eerie, and it sticks in my head.