In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Sunday 11 December 2011

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones
An emptiness began to grow
There's something out there far from my home
A longing that I've never known~

I remember excitedly watching this movie on opening day, and being thrown into a stopmotion world of wonder and delight. It's not so much a Christmas or a Halloween movie, so much as a lonely skeleton trying to find his place in the world. Oh, how I identify with the plight of Jack Skellington, the poor pumpkin king who longs for something more in his life, something new and exciting. The forest of holidays is the stuff dreams are made of. The union of Tim Burton and stopmotion was a spectacle simply "meant to be." (Ugh, that was bad.)

5 clowns with the tearaway face out of 5

4 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

When people mention Xmas films I never think of this for some reason, it's more a Hallowe'en film in my jumbled mind.
No matter, it's a sure-fire 5 curly hills out of 5 from me too. I love it.

budarc said...

I never know whether to classify it as Halloween or Christmas either; it's sort of the perfect mixture of both. I originally had it on my October movie list, but it remains relevant all the way up to the 25th of December. Kind of gives you different "feelings" depending on what season you watch it, too.

cuckoo said...

5 out of 5 from me too.

My jumbled brain files it under X-mas films.

Just happens to be Halloweeny characters trying to fit into X-mas time.

BLACKTR0N said...

This is another one that I never really watched when it came out and just recently in the past 8 years or so have picked it up.