In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Saturday 1 October 2011

SAW [2004]

The first time I saw this film my jaw dropped to the ground and my pants filled with the good stuff at the end of the movie. It was simply quite insane.
As for the rest of the film?
The idea, the scene set-ups and the narrative were actually quite good, enthralling and filled with the necessary tension.
The acting, dialogue and direction were mind-numbingly terrible and for that I have to knock it down a star. Which is a shame because the idea itself is quite brilliant and deserves to be standing next to other classic twisted thrillers like Se7en.
An effective little thriller that could have been so much better with a couple tweaks here and there. Worth watching if you're looking for a sick, fun night in.

3 ½ reverse bear traps out of 5

2 comments:

budarc said...

A 4.5 from me. It's deteriorated in quality since the first time I've seen it (partly because of the bad taste the sequels have left in my mouth) but as a standalone horror, I think it's fantastic.

That bathroom set is a very visually stimulating image in my mind. Also, the last shot.

Impudent Urinal said...

Cary Elwes didn't seem into it. Points for original idea and it's the only one of the series I rewatched.
3½ The saw would work on the chain if he went slower out of 5