In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Saturday 1 October 2011

Æon Flux (2005)

Æon is a lithe, agile Monican assassin with a stealth ability that lands her the job of assassinating Trevor Goodchild. One problem: Trevor has a secret...
It would be impossible to bring the animation of Peter Chung into live action, so rather than try much has been changed; I’m okay with that. What remains is the wonderfully inventive and impossible technology and Æon’s unique skills.
Go in expecting an action film or a faithful adaptation and you’ll be disappointed. However, strip away the badly executed action scenes and the plot will entertain on its own merits. It isn't as bad as it could have been. Maybe someday we’ll see the 30 minutes that the studio cut before release.

2½ but the animation is superior out of 5

4 comments:

cuckoo said...

You were surprisingly kinder to this than I thought you would be.

Were you drunk? :p

Dr Faustus said...

I surprised myself as well. I'd seen it before so this time I knew what NOT to expect, and somehow that made me more sympathetic to it.
The 1940's style costumes and seeing the late Pete Postlethwaite won me over this time.

I wasn't drunk at the time but I had just come off a 2 day session. :)

Impudent Urinal said...

Low expectations are magic. Saw it at the dollar theater. Enjoyed it more than expected.
2 spandex on a hot chick is still a draw out of 5

Dr Faustus said...

You saw it for a dollar? It's easily worth that much. I have the animation box. I've been meaning to Nut it for ages but haven't got around to it yet. I'm what they call a lazy shit. I can live with that. Better than being a regular shit.