In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Sunday 23 August 2015

Kamen Rider: The First (2005)

I prefer my KR to be lit for TV. The cinematography of the movies is more lush and dramatic but the ‘upgrade’ causes something endearing to be lost.
The First is a movie without a series, even though it’s based on one. It’s a retelling/re-imagining/retread (pick one) of the first KR TV series that appeared in 1971. I've not seen the original, so I can’t compare and any direct references or knowing nods outside of scarf-wearing went over my head. Judged solely on what the film is, it’s a disappointment. It’s bland, with few redeeming features. It tries hard to be an adult drama, but if you go that route you need to deliver a satisfying resolution, of which there’s none.

2 warming ice crystals out of 5

No comments: