In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Wednesday 13 November 2013

THOR: THE DARK WORLD [2013]

After Kenneth Brannagh shat the bed with the first film, I figured Game Of Thrones director Alan Taylor could only do better on Thor: The Dark World.
I was pleased to find my assumptions were slightly correct.  The first act is a dull bucket of boredom, however it's the second act where the story and conflict picks up into some enticing adventure and then it falls into an overdone grand finale of CGI effects and noise.  The only thing the first film had going for it, besides Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston was it's duck out of water humour which is sadly gone here.  It seems to take itself a bit too seriously, apart from a hilarious scene stealing Kat Dennings who fortunately gets a bit more screentime on this ride.
It's an improvement from the first film but doesn't stand up against it's Marvel counterparts.

2½ dreamy Cappy Americas out of 5

6 comments:

Marceline said...

Definitely waiting for DVD for this one. It's too cold to walk to the theater for this. :laugh:

When I saw the first movie the audience was going nuts for Kat Dennings. Not surprised they expanded her role.

cuckoo said...

Wanted to see "The Counsellor" or "12 Years A Slave" while I killed time before I had to be elsewhere...

...sadly this was the only film that fit into the timeslot. :laugh:

Still, I'm not disappointed as I was with the first one. This is simply satisfactory.

Dr Faustus said...

the alternatives must have been bad. I hope you snuck in and had the good sense to ask for a refund on the way out.

cuckoo said...

The alternative was to hang around outside until the band I was going to see started.

...it's a bit cold for that now.

My nipples were so hard they nearly tore through my jacket.

Dr Faustus said...

Bat suit nipples.

cuckoo said...

Doc yoga pants nipples.