In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Wednesday 6 November 2013

Dolores Claiborne (1995)

Dolores is practical and strong. A World War wouldn't prevent her doing her laundry. She finds herself at loggerheads with an old adversary after a tragic event puts her in the right place at the wrong time. Her past and present collide, affecting everyone around her in a small coastal town.
Kathy Bates is masterful at communicating the unsaid. She gives an even better, more nuanced performance here than she did in Misery (1990). I can’t think of anyone more suited to the role.
The film is lit in such a way that the coldness of the environment seems to permeate the film negative for the longest time, until it’s necessary for it to be removed. When the chill lifts there’s some unforgettable imagery that plays up to the era in which it’s set. It's magnificent.

4½ confessions out of 5

6 comments:

cuckoo said...

'Tis a fine fine fine film that has sadly been forgotten when it comes to wonderful King adaptations.

Oddly enough, the soundtrack arrived in the mail for me yesterday. I owned it when it first came out almost 20 years ago and lost it so I ordered it again a few weeks ago.

Dr Faustus said...

I’d been planning to watch it since watching Misery all those months ago. I kept putting it off because I was afraid it wouldn't live up to the memories I had of it, but it lived up to and even exceeded them.

Between all of us I think we’ve covered the best of the King films, except maybe The Green Mile.
I picked up the novel of it a few months ago. Not read it yet. It’s kind of far down the list.

Your soundtrack... I've been intercepting your mail. Your subscription to Ponies Monthly runs out soon.

cuckoo said...

I covered The Green Mile already. Did it on my Darabont run.

I think Dolores, The Green Mile, Stand By Me, Shawshank, The Shining, Carrie, Christine, Misery and The Dead Zone are the essentials.

Dr Faustus said...

It didn't show up in the Stephen King label. I'll go add his name if you're okay with it.

Those are all excellent. Some great directors attached.

cuckoo said...

Didn't know there was a Stephen King label.

I'll have to go back and think of some of the others I did.

I think you did the majority of them though.

Might just be Shawshank, The Green Mile and The Mist.

Dr Faustus said...

Bud created it so I used it each time. All yours are added. :) Zing!