In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Sunday 3 November 2013

Midnight Ballad for Ghost Theater (2006)

Musical horror comedies are rare to begin with, but Midnight Ballad for Ghost Theater is truly a movie all its own. Part ghost story, part love letter to the theater experience, Midnight Ballad is a delightful bit of weirdness aimed at film nerds specifically. Its songs aren't anything I'd listen to on my own, but they're performed so wonderfully it was hard to keep the grin off my face during each musical number.

It's far from perfect, but it's relentlessly charming and full of heart. There are times when the story drags, but little things the characters do help keep things interesting. It all builds up to a spectacular ending that was nothing like what I was expecting. I hope this gets a proper western release someday, because I could watch it again and again.

3.5 variations on throat cutting and gut pulling out of 5

No comments: