In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Wednesday 13 November 2013

LINKEROVER [2008]

aka LEFT BANK

Belgian directer Pieter Van Hees crafts the broody, slow-burning horror/thriller linkeroever about a girl who discovers her new boyfriend's apartment building holds some terrifying and baffling secrets.
Eline Kuppens does a believably fantastic job as the protagonist who somehow juggles insecurities and strengths into a well-rounded and natural performance.   The tone, dreary photography and plot of the film echoes that of Rosemary's Baby, The Wicker Man and Dark Water which works quite well and effectively unsettling if you're patient with the snail's pace of a plot.  While it's strengths tower over some of the pointless plot points and terrible ending, I couldn't help but feel a bit ripped off as soon as the credits started rolling.  Still, it's a impressive and hypnotizing ride that gets you to the lacklustre end.

3 hairy infections out of 5

3 comments:

Borderline said...

As soon as I heard Marie say: "Sometimes I wish I could just start all over again." I had an inkling as to what the ending was going to be. It didn't fit too well with the rest of the film.

I was hoping for a dragon. :) 3 lost shoes out of 5

cuckoo said...

Yeah...I felt the exact same thing.

I just have to be careful with these Nuts though...we're "spoiler free" right? :rolleyes:

I found the film to be pretty up and down.
The actress nailed it. The mood was wonderful too.
Yet something took away from it all...and not the shit-shot ending.

cuckoo said...

...and that fuckin' wound.

FECK.

SO much no.....so much NOOO.

I hate that type of stuff....makes me squirm. Hairy wounds?

NO NO NO.