In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Thursday 8 December 2011

A Claymation Christmas Celebration (1987)

I'm not even going to attempt to separate my feelings from this one. As a kid, claymation to me was a magical thing. It was so completely separated from reality, just the way it moved, and the textures, and the palette. It was almost like a mythical place I longed to escape to. There were not too many specials like this, so I flocked to it every year (it used to be aired after Garfield Christmas, so they remain inseparable in my memory). Essentially a collection of classic Christmas songs put to wondrous animation, in some ways I regard it as the holiday version of Fantasia. The characters are humorous and memorable, and of course, who could forget the California Raisins? My favorite segment of all remains The Ringing of the Bells.

5 a-wassailing out of 5

3 comments:

Marceline said...

Claymation is eternally magical. I wish it was used more.

Dr Faustus said...

Wonderful review, bud.
Adding my vote for more claymation films. Last one I watched was Mary & Max and it was so good.

BLACKTR0N said...

I kept waiting for the Allosaurus to eat the Styracosaurus, esspecally how the Styraco kept eating and getting fatter and fatter. Sadly that never happened. I too enjoyed the carol of the bells thing, that bell should have known better than to go full retard.