Everyone remembers this film for stoner slacker Spicoli (Sean Penn), although he's very much the secondary character to all the ensemble drama around him.
Amy Heckerling's first film, based on the non-fiction book by Cameron Crowe (in which he posed as a high school senior for inspiration), is never quite as perfect as my memory of it purports to be, but it certainly captures the wild zeitgeist of American culture in the '80s. It's an iconic coming-of-age comedy with mammorable performances from Jennifer Jason Leigh and Phoebe Cates.
4 fapus interruptus out of 5

3 comments:
I watched it for the first time last year and enjoyed it a lot. I've great fondness for both that era of filmmaking and the genre, which might have played a part, but my feelings directly after viewing were that I'd have awarded a 4 out of 5, too. I'll definitely watch it again.
Whoo, we’re back baby! I’m a bit obsessed with that time period, even though I could only ever enjoy it in retrospect. For some reason, whenever I think about this film, I also think about Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, which I would give a similar score. It just gets a lot of mileage out of teen angst and hedonism.
I get a kick out of that crappy fan-made poster above which is why I chose it over any official versions (which always highlight Spicoli only).
I'd a friend back in the day that idolised Ferris. I don't know if was a conscious decision or not on his part, but he grew into something resembling a real life version of the character. It carried through even into adulthood. I feel sorry for his wife.
Post a Comment