In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Saturday, 8 August 2026

Her Private Hell (2026)


This. Movie. Is. So. Deliberately. Slow. When I went into it, I didn't even realize this was Nicolas Winding Refn's first new film in a decade, since the marvelous The Neon Demon. It involves an actress working on a sci-fi movie as well as a parallel storyline involving a man searching for his daughter in hell, and how these two stories intersect, I still have no idea. It features Refn's trademark dreamy style draped in red, purple and blue, and a superbly lush score by Pino Donaggio which I wish were attached to a more worthy film. It's a pretentious, fartsy, neon-soaked mess that succeeded in nothing more than sending me to sleep. I didn't know what was going on, but more importantly, I just didn't care.

1 Leatherman out of 5

No comments: