These days, the only thing that powers me through each miserable day after another is nostalgia. The endless search to hold onto what makes me feel most like myself. That's all that means anything anymore in my broken little brain. I have no sense of objectivity left at this point, but who gives a shit?
This is a coming of age adventure tale which feels like Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer transposed to modern times. Set in 1980, a city girl moves out to the sticks where she befriends a tomboy and they set off in search of mythic treasure. Two kids going off on an adventure together; what could be better?
As a kid, I wanted nothing more than for Anna Chlumsky and Christina Ricci to be my friends. No, it never happened, and the film is not quite as amazing as I remember, but it does capture that feeling of youth and innocence long past.
3 reflections out of 5

No comments:
Post a Comment