In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Thursday 3 October 2024

Joker (2019)


"I just hope my death makes more sense than my life."

In an original origin story for the character, Arthur Fleck is a lonely, disturbed, misunderstood, put-upon man with a laughing disorder who is given to flights of fancy and bouts of anger and depression. Did they accidentally make a documentary of my life? Joaquin Phoenix turns in an award-winning performance as the struggling clown-for-hire/aspiring stand-up comedian who dreams about a better life; of being loved and respected by his peers. He cares for his ailing mother and becomes infatuated with his kindly neighbor. He tries to be a decent person and follow all of society's rules in spite of life's many injustices, until that tack just doesn't work anymore.
This standalone film in the DC universe owes its gritty roots to the filmography of Martin Scorsese; in particular, Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy, but it stands on its own as a work of vigilante fiction. It's one of the best comic book adaptations ever made, precisely because it doesn't feel like one. They took all the wrong lessons from this when they attempted to replicate the formula for The Batman, and completely missed the mark of what makes this film feel so refreshing and brilliant.

5 tears of a clown out of 5

2 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

I watched this one out of curiosity and was similarly blown away by how good most of it was. Joaquin was perfect casting, and the 'Taxi Driver' feeling you mentioned really helped get his feelings of isolation across. I don't recall feeling it needed a sequel, though, so I may skip the next one. I'll need to re-watch this one before deciding for sure.

budarc said...

I struggled back and forth with this one. I had originally given it a 4½, but it just didn't sit right with me. Who am I trying to impress? So I decided to be more true to myself.

You're right, though; the sequel is largely unnecessary. This film works much better as a standalone experience.