In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Thursday 23 April 2015

Unfriended (2014)

An innovative take on the found footage genre, the film's POV is seen through one character's computer screen. The story is unraveled before our eyes in real time as if we were the ones moving the cursor around and typing in search bars. Instead of this feeling tired, it was fresh and really drew my attention. Plotwise it was almost too similar to the real life cyber bullying tragedy of Amanda Todd. The characters are stereotypical high school archetypes each with an obvious tell which leads to a series of poorly filmed death scenes. It's no surprise this was originally intended to air on MTV as the dialogue is juvenile and shallow. While I'm sure the filmmakers intended the glitchy video interference heavily featured throughout Unfriended to add a sort of familiar digital texture, it actually became abrasive to the eye. The promising and innovative concept is the only real highlight here. The suspense is lost in the second half as the horror degenerates into long pauses followed by jump scares and screaming matches between characters.

2 never have I evers out of 5

3 comments:

cuckoo said...

Sounds like everything I suspected it to be.

A shame. I think it would have excelled at being an intense short film.

Borderline said...

It wasn't as bad as all the scathing reviews I kept hearing. The first half really sucked me in. I wouldn't mind revisiting it again when it's available to rent.

cuckoo said...

I'll still watch it when it's available for home viewing.

It's a horror movie. XD

:laugh: I can't resist watching people scream and die on screen.

...seriously though...

...I can't. :erm: