In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Monday 17 October 2011

They Live (1988)

Obey. Consume. Marry and Reproduce. Sound familiar?
Roddy Piper is the everyman who, with the help of some special glasses, stumbles onto a dark secret about the world we live in.
Carpenter made a scathing, social commentary wrapped up in an action movie bun long before Verhoven did. It's a classic B Movie that's so good I'm going to call it a B+ Movie. They Live is perfect weekend entertainment with the added bonus of being food for thought.

4 fuglies out of 5

9 comments:

budarc said...

You weren't kidding. Once you go John Carpenter, you can't stop. ;)

Dr Faustus said...

I know. I said to cuckoo I feel kind of guilty doing all the good Carpenter but I'm addicted. If you had planned any of what is left tell me as soon as pos. :)

budarc said...

I wanted to do Escape from New York, but I've decided to keep going with my cheesy horror theme. Besides, I'd rather you do them the justice that they deserve. ;)

I'm also planning my yearly tradition of watching "Halloween" on Halloween, but that's no big deal. Actually, I was planning on doing a marathon there too, but I don't know if I want to tread that shit again...

Dr Faustus said...

Escape from NY is yours, no reason it can't wait until after your horror binge. You can do do LA as well *cringe*. Heh!

budarc said...

LA had Campbell! ;)

Also, best ending of all time.

Dr Faustus said...

It also had the surfing moment. :notgood:

budarc said...

:loldata:

Oh yes. How can I forget.

Lyedecker said...

still not as good as big trouble in little china.

Dr Faustus said...

It's on my list as well. :)