In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Monday 24 February 2014

RED DRAGON [2002]

Director Brett Ratner takes over for the third film and first prequel in the Hannibal Lecter series, Red Dragon, which ultimately serves as Sir Anthony Hopkins final round as everyone's favorite man-eating head doctor.
Unlike Ridley Scott's dismal take on the character, Ratner opts for a more serious tone and results in something nearly as grisly as the original film making for a satisfying conclusion to the Hopkins films.  It doesn't really cover any new territory but it's so well-acted and suffocates the viewer in such an effective unsettling atmosphere it can be forgiven.

3½ smashed mirrors out of 5

4 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

I didn't watch this one.

First prequel? There was more? 0_0

I saw some of Manhunter but not all of it.

cuckoo said...

Yeah....they went ahead and made another one which I haven't seen yet.

Hannibal Rising. Thomas Harris had nothing to do with it.

I think it was the whole "fanboys love origin stories". :rolleyes:

Apparently not this much.

Dr Faustus said...

Red Dragon is the only Harris novel I've read. I picked it up after I'd seen the Silence of the Lambs film.
I’d planned to read SotL too but never got around to it.

It's got a good cast. I’d give it a go now that I know it’s better than the last one.

cuckoo said...

To be honest I like the films better than Harris' writing.

Well...SotL and RD better.

Hannibal is shit on screen just as much as it is on page.

I feel Jodie Foster is the one that really makes Silence. Folks always talk about Hopkins but if not for Foster I don't think it would be nearly as powerful as it is.