In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Wednesday 5 February 2014

2013 - Cuckoo's Year In Review

Of the 816 films we reviewed last year, over 170 of them were released in 2013 and so it's time for me to narrow that list of films down to my personal favorites.
Unlike 2012, I had a helluva time trimming down my 46 favorites to only ten but it was done with many a cringe and buckets of real tears while hitting the chopping block.
I realize many of these were produced a year before for single screenings at festivals or simply to collect dust on the shelf but I'm basing this on nationwide theatrical releases.

Enough babbling....

Here's my Top 10 Favorite Films of 2013

click on the title for mini-reviews

10)  MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING
9)    ONLY GOD FORGIVES
8)    HER
7)    THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES
6)    PRISONERS
5)    LA GRANDE BELLEZZA
4)    MUD
3)    LE PASSE
2)    INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS
1)    JAGTEN

Honorable Mentions:
ABOUT TIME
BERBERIAN SOUND STUDIO
BYZANTIUM
DISCONNECT
DRINKING BUDDIES
FRANCES HA
KINGS OF SUMMER, THE
LA VIE D'ADELE: CHAPITRES 1 & 2
THIS IS THE END
WOLF OF WALL STREET, THE

Usually I only subject myself to a few real stinkers a year but this year I found myself sitting through more than my fair share of shit and feeling sorry for myself when I realized how bad the film actually was.
Instead of scraping the bottom of the barrel to make up a list of at least 5 I found I had to narrow a longer list down to only 10.

Here's the Cream Of The Crap:
BULLET TO THE HEAD
CANYONS, THE
GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD, A
HOST, THE
IDENTITY THIEF
INSIDIOUS: CHAPTER 2
I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE 2
KILL FOR ME
RAPTURE-PALOOZA
TEXAS CHAINSAW 3D

...and there you have it, kids.  Another year gone by.

Agree?  Disagree?  Have a list of your own?

No comments: