In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Friday 7 February 2014

MIENTRAS DUERMAS [2011]

aka Sleep Tight

Jaume Balagueró, co-director of the first two [REC] films, crafts Mientras Duermes into a most effective skin-crawling home invasion thriller.
In an unique twist, this home invasion film focuses on the mind of the invader instead of the victim making for a fascinating character piece that reminded me of the days of Peeping Tom, The Collector and Psycho.  On the surface it deals with the horrors of invading one's privacy but once you peel away the outer layer you'll discover all sorts of different types of fears explored within the story and it's cast of characters.

4 cockroach infestations out of 5

5 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

It seems we both watched a home invasion film last night.
It sounds like you got the better one. Dammit.

cuckoo said...

Even the posters seem to be similar.

Mine was the better one. :smug:

I wasn't expecting a whole lot. I like the [REC] films but they weren't exactly great film-making so I thought this might be the same. I was gleefully mistaken. It was uber-creepy with next to no gore or violence. All psychological wiggins with some wonderful camera work.

Dr Faustus said...

I noticed the poster similarity too. I wonder can we realistically blame Mick Garris somehow… :p

cuckoo said...

These days I found life to be easier if I blame all of life's problems, big & small, on Mick Garris.

Out of toilet paper? Blame Mick Garris.

Lost my left hand in a boating accident? Blame Mick Garris.

Bought the wrong type of toothpaste? Blame Mick Garris.

Nutted another shitty Stephanie Meyer movie? Blame Mick Garris.

Dr Faustus said...

Good thing it wasn’t your right hand. Garris be praised.