In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Monday 7 November 2011

The Bird People in China (1998)

I fell in love with Takashi Miike because of his violent, often eccentric films, but it's the simple, subdued movie The Bird People in China that really captured my heart. This is one of the most genuinely lovely films I've ever seen. Miike creates a beautiful world straight out of a Miyazaki film that feels magical in a truly believable way.

This is a movie I like to put on whenever I feel like I'm getting overly bitter or cynical. It's a film unlike any other I've seen, and as I watch it, I feel almost hypnotized. It seamlessly jumps from genre to genre, leaving me constantly absorbed and entertained. Miike includes so many little details here that I feel like I notice something new on every viewing, and every time the film concludes, it becomes a little more real to me.

5 men who fell from the sky out of 5

2 comments:

cuckoo said...

I saw this on your recommendation...and was not disappointed.

A 5 from me too.

budarc said...

Sounds like a keeper to me. I'll slap it on my list.