In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Friday 4 November 2011

Batman: Gotham Knight (2008)

As is the case with most collections of shorts, the films in Batman: Gotham Knight are of varying quality. Few are remarkably good or bad, and there's only one I'd classify as a must see for Batman fans. While all of the movies are fairly well animated, most are forgettable, and the project doesn't live up to its potential.

The standout for me is Brian Azzarello's "Working Through the Pain", which I consider to be a definitive Bruce Wayne story. It's a quiet tale compared to some of the other shorts, but it's a beautiful character study with a lot of depth.

The varying styles showcased by animation studios is reason enough to watch this once. If you don't let the names and studios attached to this project get you too hyped up, it's a pretty entertaining excusion.

3 pretty boy Batmans out of 5

2 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

The one you mentioned is definitely the best of the bunch. I also like the way the first story was structured. I liked how it played with perspectives and time.

Overall, I felt a little let down by the whole affair. Probably because I followed it from details were first leaked, so I got hyped.

BLACKTR0N said...

The 1st or Working Through the Pain could be played before screenings of the next movie.