In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Sunday 9 October 2011

Young Frankenstein (1974)


This movie ages like a fine wine. Every time I see it, it gets better and better. It’s almost like canon to me, which is why I included it in my mini Monster marathon. Combines all the best elements of the series, with a little bit of King Kong thrown in. Gene Wilder plays his manic bit to a T as Dr. Franken-steen, the grandson of the original inventor, and Marty Feldman's eyeballs remain as swoon-worthy as ever. It's such a simple idea and that’s why this spoof works. Doesn’t try too hard to outdo the original, but instead has fun with the source material and lets all the actors have a blast with it.

5 enormous Schwanzstückers out of 5

2 comments:

cuckoo said...

5 out of 5 all the way.

A long time favorite of mine.

budarc said...

5 years later, I got the pleasure of watching this in a dimly-lit theater with a roaring audience of old and young alike. It only enhanced my viewing experience that much more.

Lucky I got to see this, Blazing Saddles and Willy Wonka in theaters this year in honor of Mr. Wilder. No better way to eulogize someone than to enjoy their work on the silver screen.