In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Monday 17 October 2011

PSYCHO [1960]

This film is my favorite film of all time. Hitchcock is at the top of his game with Tony Perkins' performance portrayed to awkward perfection. The string only score from Bernard Herrmann is a one of a kind and has been copied but never topped since. Saul Bass' frantic titles design mixed with Herrmann's skiddish Psycho theme is pure gold that puts the viewer on edge from the very get go.
George Tomasini and Hitchcock's editing job (particularly the shower scene) is breathtaking. Segueing from motel to house is mixed flawlessly.
...and yes the house. Oh yes, the house. Just as iconic as the "screeching" violins bleeding all over the torn shower curtains.
In an era where the audience feared getting to know the killers all too well, like in The Collector, Peeping Tom & Twisted Nerve, Hitchcock's Psycho did it best.
If I could I'd give it a 6.

5 Cars In The Marsh out of 5

9 comments:

budarc said...

I was planning on doing a marathon and braving the "Psycho" sequels for the first time. I've avoided them up until now, but they can't be that bad, right? I mean, they've still got Anthony Perkins, right?

Probably won't make it this year, though. I'm quick realizing I don't have a lot of time for most of the ones I planned. Oh well.

cuckoo said...

I haven't seen the sequels (II & III) since I was 11 or 12. Weren't that interesting back then...I don't know how good they could be today. They didn't follow the books thought, that's for sure. Thank god. This is a rare case where the film is light years better than the books.

Dr Faustus said...

My 2nd favourite Hitchcock.
Saul Bass, Herrmann and Hitch together, it's a triumvirate of awesomeness.
The book is a good read.

Dr Faustus said...

I've seen 2, 3 and The Bates Motel one.
Number 2 (heh) was okay iirc.

budarc said...

There's also a part IV, too, right?

Next year...next year.

Dr Faustus said...

I didn't know about a 4th one.
It's dir by Mick Garris apparently. 0_o

budarc said...

Hmmm...maybe it's worth chancing after all.

BLACKTR0N said...

Why is "P" a tage?

True story TCM aired Oklahoma! in the afternoon, Psycho in the evening, & on Cartoon Network the episode of The Brak Show where they put on the play "Psychoklahoma!" late that night.

Dr Faustus said...

The first letter of the film gets a tag, so we can have a list on the right side of the page. It seemed a good idea at the time, otherwise there'd be well over 1000 by now. It also helps to find a particular film in case the search bar at the top fails.