In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Saturday 1 October 2011

Paperhouse (1988)

Kicking off the Halloween movie marathon, I chose this intimate film from director Bernard Rose (Candyman, Immortal Beloved). Lonely Anna has a hyperactive imagination and escapes into her drawings when she sleeps. Bedridden for a week with fever, as her dreams become more frequent, they also get darker...and more real. Doesn't hold up as well as in my memory, but it affected me deeply when I was younger.

3 parents never listen to their children out of 5

1 comment:

Dr Faustus said...

This film had me enthralled as a kid. I'll never forget its emotional impact on my young mind. It's been many years since I watched it so maybe I'd feel the same as you about it now. I'd love to see it again.