In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Monday 7 November 2011

Another Earth (2011)

A quiet sci-fi drama reminiscent of last year's Never Let Me Go, Another Earth concerns a tragic event involving a teenage girl and a father on the night when a mirror planet has been discovered in our solar system. Even though I knew where this was going, I found it a well-told story nonetheless. Unfortunately, it merely touches on a great idea and doesn't fully explore the possibilities and consequences of such a concept. I would have liked to see the movie go on another 5-10 minutes. Oh well, leaves more to the imagination, I guess.

For a similar experience, check out Melancholia, still one of the year's best.

3.5 stunning wallpaper images out of 5

5 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

I have been waiting on this ever since stumbling upon the trailer by accident on IMDB. It looked wonderful. I'll have to get my sticky hands on it.

Marceline said...

I remember seeing the trailer for this, probably in STS. I'll be checking this out as well. It's a shame it didn't quite live up to its potential.

cuckoo said...

Yeah. Doc posted it when the trailer first came out. We've been eagerly anticipating it ever since. :D

The film never made it to theaters here :( ...I'm assuming bud saw this in the comfort of his own home.

Marceline said...

Awesome, I'll try and get to it tonight. Thank you.

cuckoo said...

Finally got around to watching this one.

Bud's review is spot on.

It's a really wonderful idea and atmosphere.
My only real qualms are some of the characters actions are truly unbelievable and felt too rushed.

3½ feckin' kids out of 5