In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Thursday 6 October 2011

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (1988)

Late night TV host Elvira (Cassandra Peterson) quits her job and travels to a sexually-repressed town in Massachusetts that's like a late 1960s sitcom. Whist there the leggy host offends 90% of the locals with her outspoken views and her outstanding cleavage. But while the anti-fun brigade (i.e. the town council) is fuming, the youth of the backwards town are on her side.
It's a cult film with tame innuendo (mostly tit-jokes) and intentionally bad wisecracks that'll either make sense to your inner teenager or have you scratching yourself while periodically checking your watch.

2½ big openings out of 5

3 comments:

budarc said...

Nice to see you join the party. I was saving this for a little later on this month, but if I recall correctly, I liked it about as much as you did.

Whatever you do, avoid "Elvira's Haunted Hills." It was about half what this movie was.

Dr Faustus said...

I didn't know you had planned to tackle it. Sorry. I've not seen the second one. I read it parodies the Roger Corman Poe films? That kind of appealed to me. I loved those films.

budarc said...

No problem. I'm still going to check it out and see how well it holds up. I've got plenty of other movies on my list, and I wasn't planning on reviewing all of them anyway (sometimes the words just don't come to me), so you did me a favor.