In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Friday 19 December 2014

Wedlock (1991)

aka Deadlock

At an undefined point ‘in the future’ Rutger Hauer’s luck goes unexpectedly sour. He’s placed in a penal colony where every inmate is fitted with an exploding, electronic collar that triggers if they wander outside of a painted border line. Cross the line = head goes boom.
What unfolds is predicable, light sci-fi stuff. I felt like I’d seen it before even though I hadn't. The prisoners are clichés and the twists and turns are totally transparent. But it’s not terrible and if you enjoy watching Rutger then it’s even enjoyable in places; he gets some caustic lines that raise a chuckle. It’s as if it set out to be average and achieved it.

2½ colourful names out of 5

2 comments:

cuckoo said...

Wasn't there a Chris Lambert film like this?

I'll go with the Lambert film if Joan Chen is involved with this one.

Dr Faustus said...

There was, Fortress. It has Jeffrey Combs. I think I’ve nutted it already. :p

She was a lot better in this than she was in TP, thank Jebus. It just occurred to me that TP and this were both in the same year.