In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Thursday 11 December 2014

Tammy (2014)

The husband & wife duo of Ben Falcone and Melissa McCarthy bring us the story of one Tammy, a deeply immature and uncultured woman. At the crossroads of her life, she makes a hard left turn into debauchery and degradation. Much like McCarthy's previous comedies, the humor is at times crass and the acting forced. Many scenes deserve trimming for the lingering improvisation. The characters are well fleshed out and quite specific. McCarthy is reminiscent of Chris Farley at his best in her role of the overzealous yet lovable Tammy. A surprisingly strong supporting cast (Susan Sarandon, Kathy Bates, Gary Cole, Allison Janney) slightly elevate the simple plot, but only enough for a handful of truly comedic moments.

2½ viking burials out of 5

3 comments:

cuckoo said...

:rofldata:

We both made preparations to post a Nut for this film today.

I guess I can delete my draft now.

This film was pretty piss poor.
Great supporting cast with no chemistry...other than McCarthy and Duplass (who shared not a lot of screentime together).

2 deer out of 5

Borderline said...

I only realized you had a draft set after I had already posted this. Next time I'll give a look-see before hitting publish.

I actually cringed when I saw the trailer a few months ago. She hasn't made a great film IMO since Bridesmaids.

cuckoo said...

Indeed.

Bridesmaids was her best up until I saw St. Vincent.

Check that one out if you get the chance. A turn for her that will hopefully help her career.