In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Sunday 22 June 2014

Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964)

Daniel Defoe’s Crusoe story has pervaded popular culture so deeply that it’s easy to fool ourselves into thinking we know all about it, but I've only ever read an abridged version, so while I spotted the obvious parallels it’s very likely that a lot of the smaller ones were missed.
On the surface it’s the story of an astronaut (Paul Mantee), a monkey named Mona and a slave (Victor Lundin) as they struggle to survive on Mars. Beneath that framework is a more rewarding study of how the human spirit can endure in the face of seemingly impossible odds.

3 squeeze-tubes out of 5

2 comments:

cuckoo said...

I'm a big fan of monkeys named Mona.

Dr Faustus said...

I know. I read the police report. It was like a 50 Shades of Gray first draft. :p