In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Monday 7 May 2012

THE WOMAN IN BLACK [2012]


Daniel Radcliffe steps out of his wizard's cloak and enters into the Gothic horror world of the Hammer films in this effective adaption of Susan Hill's ghost story novel The Woman In Black.
It thrills and chills to the bone and never resorts to gore like most horror films would do today.  It's a good old fashioned ghost story that never really breaks any new barriers or pulls any shocking twists & turns. However it serves it's purpose and does so with incredibly eerie class.

3 Scary ass bunnies out of 5

2 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

Your recent HP Nut reminded me that I wanted to check out if Daniel Radcliffe was any good as an adult actor. This seemed like the obvious choice because IMDB shows it as his first after the Potter films ended. He did well. I was impressed.

The film was decent, too. Not quite a 3.5 but almost.

cuckoo said...

The atmosphere is the star here.

It's nothing like the comparisons I'm about to make, but like Silent Hill and Fatal Frame I found myself dreading night time.

Radcliffe did do well...and everything I've seen him in since continues to impress me. I think the kid will be around for quite some time.