In a Nutshell. Mini reviews of movies old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. And often no sleep.

Wednesday 13 May 2015

THE FISHER KING [1991]

Director Terry Gilliam once again sets out on a quest for the Holy Grail only this time it clashes with a harsh reality in the whimsical off-beat drama The Fisher King.
Jeff Bridges plays a former shock-rock radio personality who searches for redemption by helping out a mentally ill homeless man,  played near-straight by Robin Williams, who's life he inadvertently destroyed.  New York City seen through Gilliam's eyes is a fantastical concrete jungle that shines it's spotlight on a interesting host of different classes, all of which finds ways to intertwine quite comfortably.  The wonderful story about redemption, wounded souls, romance and bravery is complimented by wonderful performances from all it's leading actors.   It's funny, sad, touching and most of all flourishing with Gilliam's unique touch.

5 wooden boys out of 5

2 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

It's literally about 20 years since I last saw this.

It was probably on the 28" CRT that I felt lucky to have. The vertical hold would occasionally go crazy, but a firm thump on the fake wood panelling of the right hand side fixed it.

I remember I watched it a few times in quick succession because I really liked it.

That's some shitty box art you guys got.

cuckoo said...

I kinda really like the art.
The bromance intimacy and nervousness, with the heavenly like light shining down on it's two knights and the Holy Grail in the title...I feel it captures the film beautifully.

Wonderful film. My favorite of Gilliam's work.

It gets a Criterion release next month. :rabbitdance:

Better than the ol' bare-boned blu-ray I have now.